Marmalade Drop Cookies

Simple. Dry, slightly buttery, shortbread cookies with a big fat drop of chewy, tangy and sweet orange marmalade. Just like grandma used to make. V1 First, I had the blood orange at 2% and it really took everything over. The cookie base by itself was mostly fine, not that you could taste it through the orange! The FA cookie is almost perfect on it's own for this kind of cookie. It really just needed a touch of vanilla and the inw biscuit brings that slight butteriness. V2 I had some help from Lil Kittybit on the diy_ejuice discord going over this recipe. He suggested dropping the orange to 0.5% since this particular FA flavor is rather potent. He was absolutely right. He also suggested some kind of thickening for the fruit layers. I already had meringue sitting on the sideline as a maybe here. We agreed that it might do the trick to bring down those bright, sharp orange bits just enough to make it jammy. Steep tests Right away: There is a sharp, almost floral -taste- that overpowers everything good about it. The cookie is very very dry. The orange sits completely separate from the cookie. 3 days: You can tell that everything is starting to settle but that perfumy-ness is still there. As the flavors mesh together, the mouth feel becomes a bit thicker and the initial OVER tanginess is becoming smoother almost like the jam melting and becoming that candy drop in the oven. 7 days: Most of the harshness is gone in the 10ml test however the larger, 120ml, batch definately needs more time. 14 days: The initial harshness has melted away. There is still a super light dry cookie on the inhale. The only wetness here is definitely coming from the chewy orange jam on the exhale, which no longer has that sharpness to it. Just smooth and sweet.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://alltheflavors.com/recipes/154042